I created this page because parents are often unaware of the various resources that are available to support them, and they may not have enough time to do their own research from scratch. You can use the list below as a starting point. I listed the topics in alphabetical order, and I linked you to some of my favorite websites, books, articles, and self-help tools regarding parenting, co-parenting, divorce recovery, and the special issues that sometimes arise when raising children in two homes.
Self-help is great, but remember you don’t have to “go it alone.” Collaborating with a professional for a few sessions can really help you get through a tough time. When you are facing a family issue and want to keep the children’s best interest in the forefront, a professional can help you sort through the issues, feel supported, and gain insight into options and strategies that you may not have considered yet. Professionals in the family law context can include attorneys, mediators, parenting facilitators, guardian ad litems, parents’ therapists, children’s therapists, and family therapists.
BIFF Response for High-Conflict People: Brief – Informative – Friendly – Firm
- Article: How to Write a BIFF Response by Bill Eddy
- Website: High Conflict Institute: Resources for Dealing with High-Conflict People
- Book: “Co-Dependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself” by Melody Beattie
- Meetings: Co-Dependents Anonymous “CoDA”
- Video clip: Dr. Brene Brown on Boundaries
Drama Triangle, Breaking Out
- Article: Breaking Out of the Drama Triangle by Dr. Shari Stines, Psychology Today
- Website: TED: The Empowerment Dynamic
Communication Tools and Apps
Conflict, Parental – Effects on Children
- Video Clip: “Kids in the Crossfire: Emphasizing the Impact of Parents’ Behavior During Divorce” by the Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Article: The Insidious Impact of Parental Conflict on Child Behavior by Kathie Hardie-Williams, LMFT
- Book: Putting Children First: Proven Parenting Strategies for Helping Children Thrive Through Divorce by JoAnne Pedro-Carroll
- Website: Isolina Ricci PhD and her book series “Mom’s House, Dad’s House” for parents and children
- Book: Crazy Time: Surviving Divorce and Building a New Life by Abigail Trafford
- Meetings: Divorce Care – Divorce & Grief Recovery in a Spiritual Context
- Also, see Support Groups, below
Emotion Coaching for Children
- Article: Emotion Coaching: One of the Most Important Parenting Practices in the History of the Universe by Christine Carter
- Website: Gottman Institute: 5-Step Emotion Coaching Method to Build Emotional Intelligence in Children
Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
- What is Emotional Freedom Technique?
- Also, see the videos by Brad Yates on You Tube demonstrating how to use EFT to relieve anxiety, etc.
Healing – Overcoming Your Childhood Emotional Neglect
- Parenting From the Inside Out by Daniel J. Siegel, MD and Mary Hartzell, M. Ed.
- Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids by Dr. Laura Markham
- The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind by Siegel & Bryson
- The Conscious Parent by Dr.Shefali Tsabary, PhD
- Out of Control: Why Disciplining Your Child Doesn’t Work and What Will by Dr. Shefali Tsabary, PhD
- Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain by Daniel J. Siegel
- Dr. Richard Warshak’s website and book “Divorce Poison”
- Dr. Amy J. Baker’s website and book “Co-Parenting with a Toxic Ex”
- Website: Parental Alienation Awareness Organization
Relationships, Strengthening with Your Child
- Handout: How to Use PRIDE Parenting Skills to Develop a Deeper Relationship with Your Child by Liann Smith of Impact Parenting
- Article: How Special Time Makes Children Content by Hand in Hand Parenting
- In-Person Program: Discovery! Unleash the Power in You: Self-Development Retreats
- Book: Rising Strong: The Reckoning. The Rumble. The Revolution by Brene Brown, PhD, LMSW
- Meetings: Al-Anon – When You Worry About Someone with a Drinking Problem
- Meetings: Co-Dependent Anonymous “CoDA”
Trauma, Understanding & Healing From
- Article: Child Trauma Academy: Helping Traumatized Children: A Brief Overview for Caregivers by Bruce Perry, M.D., Ph.D.
- Book: The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel Van Der Kolk, M.D.
- Website: Multiplying Connections: Positive Development for all Children: The Science Behind Trauma
Note: Not responsible for the content, claims or representations of the listed sites.
If I accept your case, I will be acting as your mediator or parenting facilitator. I will not be acting as your attorney and I will not be giving you legal advice.